Dogs love to chew. This is just a natural thing for canines to do and for the most part, it’s all good, as it helps to keep their teeth clean and also provides exercise for the facial and jaw muscles. But chewing on the wrong things can result in an injury that in some cases could be life threatening.
One – Sticks (or wood) – Wood can splinter easily into sharp shards. These pieces can cause injuries to the soft tissues of your dog’s mouth and can also, if swallowed, result in a potentially life threatening injury to your dog’s stomach or intestines. This goes for throwing a stick for your dog to fetch as well.
Dog’s will run with a stick and one end may stick into the ground. The force with which your dog is moving can then cause the stick to impale him, causing a terrible and painful injury. Only throw dog toys, not sticks!
Two – Plastic water bottles – There have been some DIY instructions for making dog toys from plastic water bottles as they give off a satisfying noise when chewed. But, they are also dangerous.
If the cap comes off, it can be swallowed, and may lead to a life threatening intestinal obstruction. The plastic bottle can break into pieces when chewed and your dog may swallow these. Again, the risk of obstruction is there or injury from sharp pieces.
Three – Bones – Animal bones have the potential of splintering into very dangerous shards. Again, the risk is the same as with sticks and other sharp objects as they have the potential to injure both the soft tissues of the mouth and if swallowed, the stomach and intestinal tract.
Four – Ice – Many dogs love to chew on ice but ice wears down your dog’s tooth enamel and can also be the cause of a fractured tooth.
Five – Rocks – Some dogs seem to be fascinated with rocks, but they are a bad idea as chew toys. Fractured teeth can result and also if the rock is small enough, your dog may try to swallow it, resulting in an intestinal obstruction.